Qaeda top gun among 12 killed in Pak drone strike
Islamabad: A senior al-Qaeda operative is believed to be among 12 people killed in two US drone strikes in Pakistan`s lawless North Waziristan tribal region.
Al-Qaeda operative Sheikh Yasin Al-Kuwaiti, his wife and daughter were among eight persons killed when drones fired eight missiles at a house in Haiderkhel village in North Waziristan tribal agency yesterday, an unnamed senior security official was quoted as saying by Dawn newspaper today.
Al-Kuwaiti had married the daughter of a local tribesman, the official said.
"Eight missiles were fired on the compound he was living in with his family. His house has been turned into rubble," he added.
Unconfirmed reports from the region said the dead included two Uzbek militants.
In another strike that took place 15 minutes after the first one, four people were killed and two wounded at Hassokhel village.
Local residents said they believed the dead were local militants.
Pakistani militants, who control the region bordering Afghanistan, cordoned off the area struck by the drones and took away the bodies and the injured.
There has been a surge in drone strikes in North and South Waziristan, with five attacks recorded since the beginning of the year.
Mullah Nazir, a pro-government warlord who sent his militants across the border to attack foreign forces in Afghanistan, was killed in a drone strike last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened