Quetta blast, hospital siege kill at least 21
Zee Media Bureau
Islamabad: In a sinister attack, militants on Saturday targeted a bus of a women`s university with a bomb and then stormed a hospital where the victims were being rushed to in the Pakistani city of Quetta, killing at least 21 people including 11 girl students and injuring several others.
Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan addressing a press conference said that the siege has now ended and those trapped inside the hospital have been freed.
A powerful blast ripped through a stationary bus within the campus of Sardar Bahadur Khan Women`s University at Brewery Road this afternoon.
Students and faculty members were waiting to go home when a bomb planted in the bus went off. Several girls sustained severe burn injuries as the explosion triggered a fire.
Footage on television showed flames and black smoke emerging from the bus, which was reduced to a blackened heap of metal.
Police officials said 11 girls, all students of the university, were killed. Twenty-two injured people, most of them students, were taken to the nearby Bolan Medical Complex.
About an hour after the attack on the bus, a blast occurred inside the Bolan Medical Complex while casualties were still being brought in.
Several armed militants inside the hospital then began firing indiscriminately. Several senior civil and police officials, including the police chief and Chief Secretary of Balochistan, were inside the hospital and Quetta Deputy Commissioner Abdul Mansoor Kakar was killed in the firing, Geo News channel reported.
Footage on television showed a large crowd, including security personnel and journalists, standing outside the hospital when the blast went off.
People ran helter-skelter and men and women could be seen cowering behind vehicles in the parking lot.
Security forces, including the paramilitary Frontier Corps, surrounded the hospital and engaged the militants.
Some militants took position on the roof of the hospital and fired at anyone who tried to enter the building.
TV news channels reported dozens of people, including journalists and patients, were inside the hospital.
No group claimed responsibility for both attacks, which came hours after militants attacked and destroyed a historic 121-year-old building in Ziarat, about 120 km from Quetta, that was used by Pakistan?s founder Muhammad Ali Jinnah in the last days of his life.
A policeman was killed in that attack, which was claimed by the Balochistan Liberation Army.
(With agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org