Quran row: UN asks Afghans to act with restraint
United Nations: United Nations` mission
in Afghanistan has deplored the attack on its compound in the
city of Kunduz by protesters infuriated over the incident of
Quran burning, and asked citizens to avoid actions that could
allow "enemies of peace" to get an upper hand in the crisis.
The UN Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) said no UN staff
members were hurt and all were accounted for in the incident
"UNAMA would like to reiterate the United Nations deep
respect for Islam and understanding for the feelings of
Muslims at the desecration of the Holy Qur`an," the mission
said in a release.
It said "although caused by legitimate defence, the United
Nations also regrets the casualties among the demonstrators
and expresses condolences to the families of those who lost
The mission urged those who wished to express their
legitimate religious sentiments to reject calls to engage in
violence, exercise restraint and avoid demonstrations that
could allow "enemies of peace" to take advantage of the
It said the people of Afghanistan invited the UN to work
for peace, stability and security of the country, adding that
the organisation is determined to continue helping Afghans
achieve those objectives.
"In this, the United Nations staff should enjoy the full
protection of the people and authorities of the Islamic
Republic of Afghanistan".
The burning of Islam`s holy book by NATO forces sparked
massive and violent protests in Afghanistan, resulting in the
deaths of several Afghan civilians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony