`Radical` Pak brigadier planned to bomb GHQ: Rpt
Islamabad: A Pakistan Army brigadier,
currently facing court martial for alleged links with the
banned Hizb-ut-Tahrir, had conspired with an air force pilot
to bomb the General Headquarters with a F-16 jet during a
conference of top commanders.
Brig Ali Khan was arrested last year on suspicion of
having contacts with the Hizb-ut-Tahrir.
He has been accused of trying to stage a rebellion
against the government and planning an attack on the General
Headquarters in Rawalpindi.
His family has denied the charges.
Major Suhail Akbar, a prosecution witness, said in his
statement that Khan and some members of Hizb-ut-Tahrir had
told him that an F-16 combat jet would be used to target the
army`s headquarters during a conference of corps or formation
Akbar said in his written statement to a military
court that a F-16 pilot at a military airbase near Rawalpindi
was persuaded to carry out the attack.
Akbar further said Khan also had plans to target an
"American-controlled airbase" in Pakistan and installations of
the Blackwater security company with an F-16, BBC Urdu
Akbar admitted that he had been meeting Hizb-ut-Tahrir
members for seven years. He claimed Khan was present at a
meeting of Hizb-ut-Tahrir members in July 2010.
"I knew for the first time in the same meeting that the
Hizb-ut-Tahrir members and Brigadier Ali want to topple the
political government and dislodge the military leadership and
to take over the country," Akbar said in his statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble