`Radical` Pak brigadier planned to bomb GHQ: Rpt
Islamabad: A Pakistan Army brigadier,
currently facing court martial for alleged links with the
banned Hizb-ut-Tahrir, had conspired with an air force pilot
to bomb the General Headquarters with a F-16 jet during a
conference of top commanders.
Brig Ali Khan was arrested last year on suspicion of
having contacts with the Hizb-ut-Tahrir.
He has been accused of trying to stage a rebellion
against the government and planning an attack on the General
Headquarters in Rawalpindi.
His family has denied the charges.
Major Suhail Akbar, a prosecution witness, said in his
statement that Khan and some members of Hizb-ut-Tahrir had
told him that an F-16 combat jet would be used to target the
army`s headquarters during a conference of corps or formation
Akbar said in his written statement to a military
court that a F-16 pilot at a military airbase near Rawalpindi
was persuaded to carry out the attack.
Akbar further said Khan also had plans to target an
"American-controlled airbase" in Pakistan and installations of
the Blackwater security company with an F-16, BBC Urdu
Akbar admitted that he had been meeting Hizb-ut-Tahrir
members for seven years. He claimed Khan was present at a
meeting of Hizb-ut-Tahrir members in July 2010.
"I knew for the first time in the same meeting that the
Hizb-ut-Tahrir members and Brigadier Ali want to topple the
political government and dislodge the military leadership and
to take over the country," Akbar said in his statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list