Rains pound Sri Lanka; 8 killed, thousands marooned
Colombo: Eight persons were killed and thousands of others displaced by flash floods triggered by incessant rains in Sri Lanka, officials said on Sunday.
"We have recorded eight deaths due to torrential rain over the last five days," Lal Sarath Kumara, the assistant director of Disaster Management Centre said.
The deaths were caused by lightning and drowning, he said.
Districts in the central south and south eastern Sri Lanka have been hit by the heavy downpour, with Matara district being the worst affected, officials said.
Several roads in the central hill districts remain impassable due to the Earth slips caused by heavy rainfall, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price