Rains pound Sri Lanka; 8 killed, thousands marooned
Colombo: Eight persons were killed and thousands of others displaced by flash floods triggered by incessant rains in Sri Lanka, officials said on Sunday.
"We have recorded eight deaths due to torrential rain over the last five days," Lal Sarath Kumara, the assistant director of Disaster Management Centre said.
The deaths were caused by lightning and drowning, he said.
Districts in the central south and south eastern Sri Lanka have been hit by the heavy downpour, with Matara district being the worst affected, officials said.
Several roads in the central hill districts remain impassable due to the Earth slips caused by heavy rainfall, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video