Rains pound Sri Lanka; 8 killed, thousands marooned
Colombo: Eight persons were killed and thousands of others displaced by flash floods triggered by incessant rains in Sri Lanka, officials said on Sunday.
"We have recorded eight deaths due to torrential rain over the last five days," Lal Sarath Kumara, the assistant director of Disaster Management Centre said.
The deaths were caused by lightning and drowning, he said.
Districts in the central south and south eastern Sri Lanka have been hit by the heavy downpour, with Matara district being the worst affected, officials said.
Several roads in the central hill districts remain impassable due to the Earth slips caused by heavy rainfall, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- Cricket series can't happen along with terror attacks: Anurag Thakur warns PCB