Rajapaksa accuses political rivals of undermining his govt
Colombo: Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa on Monday accused his political rivals of carrying out a smear campaign to undermine his government internationally.
"There are groups who falsely claim harassment of individuals. They provide false details of attacks to create trouble for us internationally," Rajapaksa told a gathering in the northwestern district of Kurunegala.
The President`s remark was a apparent reference to claims by Muslim political parties about attacks on the minority community allegedly by extremist groups.
He said the opposition saw only the bad side of his development drive in the infrastructure sector.
"When we build roads they say we have made commissions out of the construction. These are tactics to topple the government. But the public won`t be misled," he said.
Rajapaksa also accused the world community of conspiring against his government at the behest of the pro-LTTE diaspora.
He asked the public not to be misled by these "conspiracies".
The government is currently lobbying friendly nations against a move by the US to introduce a resolution at the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva against Sri Lanka over alleged rights abuses during the war with the LTTE.
Similar resolutions in 2012 and 2013 asked Sri Lanka to achieve national reconciliation with the Tamil minority and to establish a mechanism to probe alleged war crimes by troops during the last phase of the battle with the Tamil Tigers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog