Rajapaksa approves court order to strip Fonseka of rank, medals
Colombo: Former Sri Lankan Army Chief Gen
Sarath Fonseka was on Saturday stripped off his rank, medals and
pension after President Mahinda Rajapaksa ratified the verdict
of his conviction by a court martial.
The court martial had found Fonseka guilty of dabbling
in politics while heading the country`s military last year.
"The President in his capacity of Commander-in-Chief
of the Armed forces has confirmed the findings and the
punishment handed down by the first court martial," a military
By the decree signed by Rajapaksa, Fonseka will lose
his right to wear rank, medals he has won in his 40 year long
career in the Army, as well as his pension.
Fonseka was pronounced guilty by a three-member
military court of trying to secure place in a political party
while in active service.
Although Friday`s military court ruling did not hand
out any prison term for the former General, Fonseka, according
to officials, will continue to remain in prison.
He is also being tried by another court martial for
corruption in defence deals.
The 59-year-old General was pronounced guilty
yesterday by the military court, which began deliberations
five months back.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400