Rajapaksa names his man as Sri Lanka`s new chief justice
Colombo: Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa on Tuesday appointed his cabinet`s legal adviser as the country`s new Chief Justice to succeed Shirani Bandaranayake, whose impeachment created much furore both inside and outside the nation.
Rajapaksa sworn in new Chief Justice Mohan Peiris to replace Sri Lanka`s first woman chief justice who was impeached by the parliament in a controversial move.
Peiris, a British qualified solicitor who retired in 2011 as the Attorney General was serving as the legal advisor to the Cabinet.
He is being seen as a favourite of the government.
Peiris has lobbied for Sri Lanka during the sessions of the United Nations Human Rights Council in recent years. He is also supervising the implementations of recommendations by Sri Lanka`s post war reconciliation commission (LLRC).
Presidential officials said Peiris took over as the new chief justice today after the sacking of Bandaranayake following a parliamentary ratification last week of the impeachment against her.
Bandaranayake`s impeachment came despite the Supreme Court`s ruling of the process against her illegal.
She had walked out of the parliamentary investigation citing bias.
National and international rights groups have severely criticised the government of Sri Lanka over the issue.
Rights groups have questioned the legality of the impeachment that has pitted the judiciary against the government.
In keeping with the opposition, Civil society think tank, the Centre for Policy Alternatives filed a fundamental rights petition in the Supreme Court seeking an order restraining Peiris from taking office.
The legal fraternity was up in arms against the impeachment and had vowed not to cooperate with her successor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi