Rajapaksa names his man as Sri Lanka`s new chief justice
Colombo: Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa on Tuesday appointed his cabinet`s legal adviser as the country`s new Chief Justice to succeed Shirani Bandaranayake, whose impeachment created much furore both inside and outside the nation.
Rajapaksa sworn in new Chief Justice Mohan Peiris to replace Sri Lanka`s first woman chief justice who was impeached by the parliament in a controversial move.
Peiris, a British qualified solicitor who retired in 2011 as the Attorney General was serving as the legal advisor to the Cabinet.
He is being seen as a favourite of the government.
Peiris has lobbied for Sri Lanka during the sessions of the United Nations Human Rights Council in recent years. He is also supervising the implementations of recommendations by Sri Lanka`s post war reconciliation commission (LLRC).
Presidential officials said Peiris took over as the new chief justice today after the sacking of Bandaranayake following a parliamentary ratification last week of the impeachment against her.
Bandaranayake`s impeachment came despite the Supreme Court`s ruling of the process against her illegal.
She had walked out of the parliamentary investigation citing bias.
National and international rights groups have severely criticised the government of Sri Lanka over the issue.
Rights groups have questioned the legality of the impeachment that has pitted the judiciary against the government.
In keeping with the opposition, Civil society think tank, the Centre for Policy Alternatives filed a fundamental rights petition in the Supreme Court seeking an order restraining Peiris from taking office.
The legal fraternity was up in arms against the impeachment and had vowed not to cooperate with her successor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing