Rajapaksa rejects demands for probe into rights violation
Colombo: Sri Lankan President Mahinda
Rajapaksa has rejected demands from the global community for
an independent probe into the alleged human rights violations
during the last phase of the civil war, saying a commission
appointed by the government will look into the issue.
Rajapaksa said if the commission appointed by him
points finger at anyone, even at his relatives, he will take
action against them.
"This is an internal matter. I don`t want my internal
matters to be inquired by any other country or any other NGOs.
So we will look after that. That`s why we appointed a
commission so if there is any violations, we will see," he
told Al-Jazeera television channel in an interview.
He was asked why the Sri Lankan government was not
allowing any independent body to investigate of it was so
confident that the army did not commit any crimes.
"If it is a crime, whether it is my relation, or my
army commander or anybody. It is immaterial. It`s a crime,
crime is a crime, so we have to punish them," he said.
Sri Lanka is under pressure from the global community
to allow a UN agency to probe the human rights violations.
"You don`t ask that from the Americans! You don`t go
and ask that of the British about Iraq, or Afghanistan or what
is happening in Pakistan?
"Be fair with us...be fair with us... don`t treat Sri
Lanka like this because we defeated terrorism. Unfortunately,
other countries couldn`t defeat terrorism yet, although we
have done that," the President said.
Stressing that the security forces did not target
civilians during the last phase of the 30-year-old civil war
that saw the annihilation of LTTE, Rajapaksa said only LTTE
rebels were killed.
"I deny it ((security forces killed innocent Tamils),
because we never killed any civilians," Rajapaksa said.
"If Sri Lankan army acted in a different way, against
the civilians, they would never have trusted us," he said.
He said more than 3 lakh civilians crossed over to the
government controlled-safe zones from LTTE areas during the
last phase of the civil war.
On allegations that Tamils were being marginalised,
Rajapaksa said: "I don`t agree with that, because some
politicians are making these issues. Or some NGO`s."
On charges by sections of overseas Tamil diaspora that
his government was not doing anything for the Tamil community
in the Island nation, the President said the community had not
even visited the main areas of North.
"Unfortunately, this is the problem, because they
don`t want to come back to Sri Lanka. They are enjoying
themselves," Rajapaksa said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow