Rallies in Pakistan condemn anti-Islam movie
Islamabad: Pakistanis on Friday staged rallies in the capital Islamabad and other major cities to condemn a US movie on Prophet Mohammad, Xinhua reported.
The demonstrations ended peacefully and no violence took place.
Paramilitary soldiers and anti-riot police stopped demonstrators in Islamabad who wanted to march towards the US embassy. The demonstration was organised by Shia group Wahdat-e-Muslimeen.
Group leader Maulana Amin Shaheedi asked the Pakistan government to break diplomatic relations with the US.
Fazal-ur-Rahman Kahlil, a religious cleric, said the movie maker was encouraged to make the controversial film as the US government failed to punish its soldiers who had been involved in desecration of the holy Quran.
"Had the US punished its soldiers who were involved in previous blasphemous acts, no one in the US would dare make such a documentary," Kahlil said.
The Jamaat-e-Islami party also staged a rally in Islamabad, where the demonstrators demanded that the US apologise for the film.
Pakistan has already blocked internet access to the movie and the Pakistani parliament has asked the UN to inquire into the matter.
In Peshawar, hundreds of Jamaat-e-Islami supporters took out a rally, where speakers said the movie was trying to provoke extremism.
Party activists threatened to attack the US embassy in Islamabad if the Pakistani government did not protest against the film, Xinhua reported.
Party chief Munawar Hassan, addressing a rally in Karachi, demanded that the US government ban the movie and also asked the Pakistani interior ministry to lodge a protest with the US ambassador.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part II
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam -Part III
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part IV
- DNA : Why BJP is linking Rahul Gandhi to AgustaWestland scam
- Kerala law student rape and murder: Three detained by police
- WATCH: SHOCKING! When Ashish Nehra abused Mahendra Singh Dhoni for dropping Shahid Afridi's catch
- 58 weightlifters caught for doping last year: Sports Minister Sarbananda Sonowal
- PM Modi wants BJP MPs, ministers to highlight govt's schemes like LPG coverage, electrification of villages
- Tibet govt-in-exile in Dharamsala unpopular among Tibetans: China