Ramzan brings taste of India`s finest sweets to Pak
Islamabad: Every year during the Islamic holy month of Ramzan, the Indian High Commission in Pakistan mounts an operation with military-like precision to spread goodwill and give Pakistanis a taste of some of India`s finest sweets.
A small group of staff members of the High Commission travels from Islamabad to Delhi in a van to bring back hundreds of boxes packed with kaju katlis, sohan halwa and barfis and cans of rasgollas, cham chams and gulab jamuns.
The sweets are then distributed among a diverse group that includes ministers, politicians, military officers, academics, civil society activists and journalists in the week before the festival of Eid-ul-Fitr.
From Islamabad, sweets are also sent to people in Karachi and Lahore.
"Everything has to be planned well in advance. Detailed lists of people who will receive the sweets are drawn up and then orders are placed for the sweets with the manufacturer in Delhi," said an official of the High Commission.
"The timing is essential the sweets have a limited shelf life and the orders must be placed at just the right time. They must be transported from India in the shortest possible time and then distributed among hundreds of people," the official told.
The staff members stay in Delhi just long enough for the sweets to be packed in the van and then drive back to Islamabad.
The sweets, which are very popular among Pakistanis, are then sent to recipients in different cities.
"The kaju katlis, which aren`t available in Pakistan, are especially popular among the Pakistanis," the official said.
Baqir Sajjad, the foreign affairs correspondent of the Dawn newspaper, said the move allows Pakistanis to get a glimpse of another side of the Indian government.
"It is a strong gesture. We, as journalists, quite often see the hard face of Indo-Pakistan diplomacy, but such gifts remind us that there is a softer and gentler side to it too," he said.
The distribution of sweets was not stopped even when bilateral relations were affected by events like the 2008 Mumbai attacks.
The tradition continued even after Delhi suspended the bilateral dialogue process in the aftermath of the terrorist assault on India`s financial hub that was blamed on the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba.
Mushahid Hussain Syed, a former federal minister and current chairman of the Defence Committee of the Senate or upper house of Parliament, agreed that such steps helped improve atmospherics between the two countries.
"I am one of the recipients of the boxes of sweets that are part of the soft diplomacy by the Indian High Commission. The sweets, which come with a greeting card for Eid-ul-Fitr that has a message in Urdu and English, are popular," Syed told a news agency.
He said the representation of Pakistani parties at a recent iftar-dinner hosted by Indian High Commissioner Sharat Sabharwal too reflected the "broad outreach" of the envoy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Delhi Assembly passes resolution against MHA notification: As it happened