`Raymond Davis himself paid blood money`
Islamabad: Pakistan Attorney General Maulvi Anwar ul-Haq has revealed that double murder-accused CIA contractor Raymond Davis had paid the blood money to the heirs in his individual capacity.
Anwar said that under Islamic law, the punishment for murder, homicide or infliction of injury could either be in the form of qisas- equal punishment for the crime committed, or diyat- compensation payable to the victims or their legal heirs.
He highlighted that the Supreme Court had asked the government in 2008 to set up a fund that could be utilised for the release of such prisoners who could not pay fines.
The Attorney General said that it could not be said that Davis’ release was an outcome of an agreement between him and the heirs or an accord between two countries.
He further said that Davis could not be tried in the US again.
“The US Justice Department had talked about an investigation and not a case against Davis. He has been forgiven, and his case would not be reopened,” the News quoted Anwar, as saying.
A Lahore court had acquitted Davis in the double murder case on Wednesday, and ordered his immediate release after the legal heirs of the two victims accepted blood money and pardoned the killer.
The Pakistan Government has retreated into a shell following Davis’ release, as the revelation sparked countrywide angry protests and emotional outbursts on television talk shows, accusing the federal and Punjab governments and also military and intelligence services of bartering national interest and indulging in a secret sell-out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Turkey discharges generals, shuts media outlets after coup
- Fed leaves rates unchanged but says US economy improving
- French church attackers pledged allegiance to ISIS in video
- Stick to my statement that Salman Khan killed Chinkara, says 'missing' driver
- Eye on China? India to buy four P-8I aircraft from US for maritime surveillance over Indian Ocean Region