`Raymond Davis himself paid blood money`
Islamabad: Pakistan Attorney General Maulvi Anwar ul-Haq has revealed that double murder-accused CIA contractor Raymond Davis had paid the blood money to the heirs in his individual capacity.
Anwar said that under Islamic law, the punishment for murder, homicide or infliction of injury could either be in the form of qisas- equal punishment for the crime committed, or diyat- compensation payable to the victims or their legal heirs.
He highlighted that the Supreme Court had asked the government in 2008 to set up a fund that could be utilised for the release of such prisoners who could not pay fines.
The Attorney General said that it could not be said that Davis’ release was an outcome of an agreement between him and the heirs or an accord between two countries.
He further said that Davis could not be tried in the US again.
“The US Justice Department had talked about an investigation and not a case against Davis. He has been forgiven, and his case would not be reopened,” the News quoted Anwar, as saying.
A Lahore court had acquitted Davis in the double murder case on Wednesday, and ordered his immediate release after the legal heirs of the two victims accepted blood money and pardoned the killer.
The Pakistan Government has retreated into a shell following Davis’ release, as the revelation sparked countrywide angry protests and emotional outbursts on television talk shows, accusing the federal and Punjab governments and also military and intelligence services of bartering national interest and indulging in a secret sell-out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor