`Raymond Davis himself paid blood money`
Islamabad: Pakistan Attorney General Maulvi Anwar ul-Haq has revealed that double murder-accused CIA contractor Raymond Davis had paid the blood money to the heirs in his individual capacity.
Anwar said that under Islamic law, the punishment for murder, homicide or infliction of injury could either be in the form of qisas- equal punishment for the crime committed, or diyat- compensation payable to the victims or their legal heirs.
He highlighted that the Supreme Court had asked the government in 2008 to set up a fund that could be utilised for the release of such prisoners who could not pay fines.
The Attorney General said that it could not be said that Davis’ release was an outcome of an agreement between him and the heirs or an accord between two countries.
He further said that Davis could not be tried in the US again.
“The US Justice Department had talked about an investigation and not a case against Davis. He has been forgiven, and his case would not be reopened,” the News quoted Anwar, as saying.
A Lahore court had acquitted Davis in the double murder case on Wednesday, and ordered his immediate release after the legal heirs of the two victims accepted blood money and pardoned the killer.
The Pakistan Government has retreated into a shell following Davis’ release, as the revelation sparked countrywide angry protests and emotional outbursts on television talk shows, accusing the federal and Punjab governments and also military and intelligence services of bartering national interest and indulging in a secret sell-out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'