Ready to resolve all issues with India: Pak
Islamabad: The era of wars has ended and Pakistan is prepared to resolve all outstanding issues with India, including the Kashmir dispute and terrorism, through talks, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani said Monday.
"The era of wars has ended. We are ready to sit and resolve all core issues - whether it is Kashmir, Sir Creek, Siachen, water or terrorism - at the negotiating table," Gilani said while addressing a conference on the role of NGOs in the development of Pakistan.
Instead of trying to resolve issues through force, the government has adopted a policy of progress and negotiations, he said.
A hand of friendship had been extended to Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, he added.
Noting that people had been talking of the need to withdraw troops from Siachen following an avalanche that hit a Pakistan Army camp and buried 138 people, Gilani said Islamabad is ready for talks with New Delhi on all core issues.
The premier contended that the basic causes of terrorism and extremism were illiteracy and poverty.
India and Pakistan resumed their peace process last year after a gap of over two years in the aftermath of the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks, which were blamed on the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba.
Since then, the two sides have taken several steps to normalise relations, especially in the field of trade. President Asif Ali Zardari went to India on a day-long private visit a day after the avalanche slammed into a high-altitude Pakistan Army camp in the Siachen sector on April 7.
He met Indian Prime Minister Singh, who called for practical and pragmatic solutions to the problems between the two countries.
Following a visit to the Siachen sector on April 18, army chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani called for all issues between India and Pakistan to be resolved to ensure "peaceful co-existence" which would allow the two countries to focus on development.
He further said Pakistan hoped the Siachen issue is "resolved so that both the countries don`t have to pay the cost".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27