Rebels killed, rocket attack pre-Kabul conference
Kabul: NATO troops said they killed several
insurgents preparing to attack a major international
conference in Kabul, with the Afghan capital under security
lockdown for the high profile event on Tuesday.
The alleged militants were killed during a raid on a
house on the southern edge of the city overnight, NATO`s
International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said,
suspecting the Taliban of plotting an attack on the
Two other militants were captured while "pursuing a
Taliban facilitator believed to be in final stages of
preparation for attacks against the Kabul conference," it
Automatic weapons and ammunition were impounded, the
ISAF had already said that others had been captured
elsewhere in the city last week also said to be plotting
attacks on the landmark meeting.
The Taliban have stepped up attacks on the heavily
fortified Afghan capital and last month fired rockets towards
a giant tent where a domestic peace conference was held during
President Hamid Karzai`s opening address.
But thousands of Afghan and NATO forces today led
watertight security measures, shutting roads and banning
traffic within several kilometres (miles) of the foreign
ministry where the conference was taking place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: ADORABLE! MS Dhoni shares cutest videos with daughter Ziva on Instagram
- No need to hold talks with separatists: BJP
- Panama papers: SC seeks Centre, RBI's response in four weeks
- Bikini pictures of ‘DJ Wale Babu’ sensation Natasa Stankovic will make your heart skip a beat!
- Neeraj Chopra sets new U20 Javelin WORLD RECORD in Poland – WATCH VIDEO