Rehman Malik questions Punjab government over terror
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Interior Minister Rehman Malik has criticised the Punjab provincial government for doing precious little to curb terrorism, particularly against banned terror outfit Lashkar-e-Jhangvi (LeJ).
He also blamed LeJ and Punjab Taliban groups for carrying out terror acts in the country.
"If Punjab government launches a crackdown on the banned Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, the scourge of terrorism could be eliminated," Malik told reporters Monday while visiting a hospital where victims of Sunday`s twin blasts have been admitted. A few days ago he said LeJ was involved in 80 percent terror activities in Pakistan.
About 50 people were killed and 140 injured when a blast hit Abbas Town, a residential area in the port city of Karachi, Sunday evening.
"Every time I utter the name of Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, it give(s) the Punjab government jitters," Geo News quoted Malik as adding.
Malik said the Punjab government crticises him instead of taking LeJ leader Malik Ishaq into custody, against whom as many as 34 FIRs have been lodged.
Stating that there was a similarity in the terror strikes of Quetta and Karachi, and in both the incidents chemicals were transported from Punjab, Malik asked why the Punjab government did not close down the offices of LeJ in the province.
He also claimed having cracked the backbone of proscribed Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city