Rehman Malik questions Punjab government over terror
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Interior Minister Rehman Malik has criticised the Punjab provincial government for doing precious little to curb terrorism, particularly against banned terror outfit Lashkar-e-Jhangvi (LeJ).
He also blamed LeJ and Punjab Taliban groups for carrying out terror acts in the country.
"If Punjab government launches a crackdown on the banned Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, the scourge of terrorism could be eliminated," Malik told reporters Monday while visiting a hospital where victims of Sunday`s twin blasts have been admitted. A few days ago he said LeJ was involved in 80 percent terror activities in Pakistan.
About 50 people were killed and 140 injured when a blast hit Abbas Town, a residential area in the port city of Karachi, Sunday evening.
"Every time I utter the name of Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, it give(s) the Punjab government jitters," Geo News quoted Malik as adding.
Malik said the Punjab government crticises him instead of taking LeJ leader Malik Ishaq into custody, against whom as many as 34 FIRs have been lodged.
Stating that there was a similarity in the terror strikes of Quetta and Karachi, and in both the incidents chemicals were transported from Punjab, Malik asked why the Punjab government did not close down the offices of LeJ in the province.
He also claimed having cracked the backbone of proscribed Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- James Rodriguez may make last Real Madrid appearance in Celta Vigo game
- Manufacturing growth to be higher in Q2 on better export outlook: Survey
- Assocham for penalty waiver in initial phase of GST rollout
- Roberto Martinez announced Thierry Henry as assistant coach for Belgium
- Olympic Dreams: Rickshaw driver buys shooter daughter rifle worth 5 lakh that was saved for her wedding