Rehman Malik questions Punjab government over terror
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Interior Minister Rehman Malik has criticised the Punjab provincial government for doing precious little to curb terrorism, particularly against banned terror outfit Lashkar-e-Jhangvi (LeJ).
He also blamed LeJ and Punjab Taliban groups for carrying out terror acts in the country.
"If Punjab government launches a crackdown on the banned Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, the scourge of terrorism could be eliminated," Malik told reporters Monday while visiting a hospital where victims of Sunday`s twin blasts have been admitted. A few days ago he said LeJ was involved in 80 percent terror activities in Pakistan.
About 50 people were killed and 140 injured when a blast hit Abbas Town, a residential area in the port city of Karachi, Sunday evening.
"Every time I utter the name of Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, it give(s) the Punjab government jitters," Geo News quoted Malik as adding.
Malik said the Punjab government crticises him instead of taking LeJ leader Malik Ishaq into custody, against whom as many as 34 FIRs have been lodged.
Stating that there was a similarity in the terror strikes of Quetta and Karachi, and in both the incidents chemicals were transported from Punjab, Malik asked why the Punjab government did not close down the offices of LeJ in the province.
He also claimed having cracked the backbone of proscribed Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India