Rehman Malik`s electricity bills amounting to Rs 4.9 mn pending
Islamabad: Interior Minister Rehman Malik tops a list of Pakistani ministers who have defaulted on the payment of electricity bills, with the outstanding dues for his official residence here amounting to over Rs 4.9 million.
According to bills issued by the Islamabad Electric Supply Company, Malik has not made any payments since he moved into House 34 in the Ministers` Enclave about five years ago.
Till February 13, arrears against Malik`s official residence stood at Rs 4.75 million, the Dawn newspaper reported.
His monthly bill for February alone was Rs 153,788, and the total outstanding amount increased to Rs 4.92 million which included a late payment surcharge of Rs 12,000.
Unlike domestic consumers who face disconnection if they do not pay their electricity bills on time, Malik continues to have uninterrupted power supply, the report said.
In a message posted on Twitter, Malik contended that the Public Works Department was responsible for paying the electricity bills.
"I live in the official residence like other ministers and utility bills are cleared by PWD. Bills never come to the ministers," he wrote.
Under perks and privileges enjoyed by federal ministers, the government provides a monthly allowance of Rs 24,000 and any excess has to be paid by the minister.
The Dawn reported that several ministers were apparently taking the allowance but not clearing their electricity bills.
Malik`s average monthly bill for electricity since he moved into the Ministers` Enclave 56 months ago worked out to about Rs 89,000.
The total amount owned by government departments to power distribution companies hovers around Rs 170 billion, the report said.
In June last year, Malik had asked a cabinet committee to give him an opportunity to recover all electricity arrears.
"Leave it to me, I will sort them out and correct their system. I will ensure 100 per cent recovery and reduction in load shedding," he had said at the time.
According to official records, Minister for Narcotics Control Haji Khuda Bakhsh has not paid electricity bills amounting to Rs 1.07 million for 49 months.
Minister for Postal Services Umar Gorgeij has outstanding bills of Rs 1.96 million.
Fahmida Mirza, the Speaker of National Assembly, has an outstanding amount of Rs 381,266 against her official residence.
Federal Minister Makhdoom Shahabuddin, who was once tipped to become premier, owes Rs 271,726 and has not made any payments for over 22 months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'