Reopen graft cases against Zardari: Pak SC to Gilani
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Supreme Court on Thursday directed Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani to ask Swiss
authorities to revive graft cases against President Asif Ali
Zardari and to submit a report on the issue on March 21.
The apex court said in an order that Gilani should write
a letter to the Swiss authorities without waiting to seek the
advice of his legal experts.
It asked him to file a report giving details of the
action taken by him at the next hearing.
A seven-judge bench led by Justice Nasir-ul-Mulk said
contempt proceedings initiated against Gilani for failing to
act on the court?s earlier orders to revive the cases against
Zardari would continue simultaneously.
The bench asked Gilani to record his detailed response to
the contempt proceedings by March 21, failing which final
arguments in the case would get underway.
The bench issued this direction after Attorney General
Anwar-ul-Haq, the prosecutor for the case, cross-examined
Cabinet Secretary Nargis Sethi, who is appearing as a witness.
Emerging from the hearing, Gilani`s lawyer Aitzaz Ahsan
told reporters that the bench had asked the premier to submit
a detailed statement by March 19 or to appear in person and
record his statement on March 21.
"If he (Gilani) does not submit a statement, arguments
will commence on March 21. If he makes a statement, the final
arguments will begin from March 21," Ahsan said.
The Supreme Court recently indicted Gilani for contempt
of court after he refused to act on orders to reopen cases of
alleged money laundering against President Asif Ali Zardari in
The apex court has been pressuring the government to
revive the cases against Zardari since December 2009, when it
struck down the National Reconciliation Ordinance, a graft
amnesty issued by former military ruler Pervez Musharraf.
The government has refused to act, saying the President
enjoys complete immunity from prosecution within Pakistan and
Ahsan contended that the prosecution had not proved its
case as it had only produced the Supreme Court’s past orders.
"As long as a person is President, he cannot be pushed
before a judge in a foreign country," he remarked.
The premier was advised by officials that the cases
against Zardari could not be reopened, he said.
Subsequently, Gilani wrote to officials that the Supreme
Court should be taken into confidence on the government’s view
but the court did not take up for over a year, he said.
"It was only in January 2012 that the Supreme Court took
up the issue. People can sharpen their knives but we have
genuinely proved our case. We have a good case," he said.
If convicted, Gilani could be jailed for six months and
face the possibility of being disqualified.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Bihar intermediate result 2015 (commerce) on biharboard.ac.in