Reopening Zulfikar Ali Bhutto case will strengthen Pak judiciary: Awan
Islamabad: The reopening of the Zulfikar Ali Bhutto case will strengthen Pakistan’s judiciary, Law Minister Babar Awan has said.
On Friday, President Asif Ali Zardari signed the reference seeking to reopen the case of former Prime Minister and Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) founder Bhutto, who was hanged on April 4, 1979, in Rawalpindi.
The reference was signed in the presence of Awan and Sindh Home Minister Zulfikar Mirza, and was sent to the Supreme Court by the Law Ministry on Saturday (today).
The Pakistan People’s Party “has not accepted the judicial decision against Zulfikar Bhutto to this day,” the Dawn quoted Awan, as telling media representatives in Islamabad.
He said that the reference to reopen the case could not be filed during the previous two PPP governments due to their eventual dismissals by the then presidents Ghulam Ishaque Khan and Farooq Leghari.
Awan further said that the government wanted the case reopened in order to strengthen the country’s judicial system.
The execution of Bhutto has been widely termed as a ‘judicial murder’.
Zardari’s spokesperson Farhatullah Babar had said on Friday that the PPP had never intended to seek revenge, but it wanted to correct a historic wrong, and thereby vindicate the position of the founding chairman of the party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Amjad Sabri laid to rest amid tears, thousands attend Karachi funeral
- Euro 2016: Wayne Rooney and Roy Hodgson seek more ruthless from England against Iceland
- Gunman, who opened fire at German cinema complex before being shot dead, acted alone
- 'NSG applications of Pakistan, India should be considered together'
- Jung, Meena will be summoned over Sheila govt 'scams': Dy Speaker