`Reports of joint US-Pak Haqqani operation absurd`
Lahore: Speculations about a possible Pakistan-US joint operation against the Haqqani network in North Waziristan are absolutely baseless and absurd, senior Pakistani security officials have said.
According to The Express Tribune, one of the officials vehemently rejected the possibility of any ISI-CIA led joint operation code-named as ``Tight Screw`` against the Haqqani network.
The sources further added that such media speculations are creating misperceptions and that there is no truth in these fabricated stories.
The official also said that Pakistan does not support the Haqqani network and their activities inside Afghanistan, and denied using them as a surrogate against US-led NATO forces in Afghanistan.
Earlier, US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta had said the Pakistan military is planning to start an operation against militants in North Waziristan.
The report stated that Army Chief General Ashfaq Pervez Kayani had confirmed to General John Allen, the commander ISAF (International Security Assistance Force) in Afghanistan, during a meeting that the operation was about to start.
"General Kayani did indicate that they had developed plans to go into Waziristan. Our understanding is that hopefully they`re going to take that step in the near future. I can`t tell you when. But the indication that we have is that they are prepared to conduct that operation soon," Panetta had said, calling it a welcome change in Pakistan`s stance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey