Rescue teams rush to save tourists trapped at base of Everest
Beijing: China on Monday rushed rescue teams to save 86 tourists, including 13 foreigners, trapped in heavy snow at the base camp of Mt Everest.
The tourists were about to go downhill after sightseeing at the base camp, located 5,200 metres above sea level, when they were stuck in heavy snow, officials in Tibet`s Xigaze prefecture said.
No casualties have been reported so far, state-run Xinhua news agency reported. Rescuers are currently clearing their way towards the base camp.
Mt Everest is called Mt Qomolangma in Tibet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter