Resign or be hanged: PML-N warns Zardari
Islamabad: Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari has been threatened by the opposition Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) to be ready to be hanged "upside down" or "resign and return looted national wealth", a media report said Saturday.
PML-N leaders Friday addressed a gathering in Lahore, where Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif "took acerbity and fiery rhetoric to its limits" in his denunciation of the President, the daily Dawn reported.
Sharif "laced his speech with all ingredients needed for firing up a public meeting" accusations of sleaze, insults, poetry and talk of the gallows.
"Resign and return looted national wealth. Otherwise, my comrades will hang you (Zardari) upside down," the chief minister said.
Sharif led a chorus of "Go Zardari, go" and said parliament would hold the President accountable.
He called Zardari an "Ali Baba" and his colleagues "forty thieves", referring to the story in the "Arabian Nights" where the robbers looted people and hid their wealth in a secret cave location.
He alleged the President had no empathy for the country or its people and was interested only in corruption.
Sharif vowed that the "war" would end only after overthrowing Zardari and laying the "foundations of a new Pakistan".
"We will rid the country of Zardari and his corrupt team in the way our elders had broken free from the clutches of Hindus in 1947," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore