Rift in Afghan Taliban?
Kabul: The Afghan Taliban has split, with the formation of an extremist faction opposed to peace talks, an Afghan newspaper reported on Saturday.
According to "Hasht-e-Subh", the newly formed "Mahaz Fedai Tahrik Islami Afghanistan," had claimed responsibility for killing Logar province Governor Arsala Jamal on the first day of Eidul Adha festival.
The new group literally means the Suicidal Front of Islamic Movement of Afghanistan.
In a bomb blast that rocked a mosque in Logar`s capital Pul-e-Alam Tuesday, Jamal was killed on the spot and 15 others sustained injuries.
The new Taliban faction was reportedly against peace talks.
It came into being in June when the Taliban liaison office was opened in Qatar to hold negotiation with the US and Afghan government on national reconciliation in order to find settlement to the Afghan crisis.
The elusive Taliban chief, Mullah Mohammad Omar, has not released any video or audio cassette since the killing of al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden by US forces in Pakistan, said the paper.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India