Rift in Lankan TNA over ministerial posts, 9 refuse to take oath
Colombo: The rift within the Tamil National Alliance over ministerial appointments in the government for Sri Lanka`s northern province has widened with nine elected representatives refusing to be sworn in by the new Chief Minister.
Nine of the 30 TNA leaders elected in last month`s polls refused to be sworn in by Chief Minister C V Wigneswaran yesterday due to a dispute over appointments and his decision to take oath before President Mahinda Rajapaksa.
Two parties of the five-party alliance, Tamil Eelam Liberation Organisation (TELO) and Eelam People`s Liberation Front (EPRLF), held a press conference in Jaffna today to explain the refusal by nine elected members to take oath.
"They are (TNA hierarchy) violating the collective decision-making process," TELO leader M K Shivajilingam said.
Suresh Premachandran, an EPRLF leader, said the TNA acted jointly in picking election candidates but a similar process was not followed in selecting ministers.
The four-member cabinet of the northern provincial council was announced on Thursday.
Talking about the dispute, Wigneswaran said Premachandran, an EPRLF senior leader, was unhappy because his brother had failed to win a ministerial position.
"There is nothing I can do, we could have only four ministers in the council," Wigneswaran said.
"The nine members who did not take oaths will take oaths in Mullaithivu on Monday," Premachandran said.
Mullaithivu was the scene of the last battle between the Sri Lankan Army and the LTTE in May 2009. The recent polls in the northern province were the first in 25 years and were held after the end of the nearly three decades-long conflict.
"Mullaithivu was an area where Tamil people suffered most," Shivajilingam, who was often accused of being an LTTE supporter, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly