Roadside bombing kills 8 Afghan civilians
Kabul: Eight Afghan civilians, including seven women, were killed and two others wounded Wednesday morning in a roadside bombing in southern Helmand province, the Interior Ministry said.
"A civilian car touched off a roadside bomb planted by the Taliban terrorists in Dizro area of Musa Qala district at about 9 a.m. local time sparking a powerful blast leaving eight civilians dead on the spot," the ministry said in a statement.
The wounded were admitted to a nearby hospital, it said.
Taliban militants, who have been waging insurgency for more than a decade, often launch attack on Afghan and NATO-led forces with roadside bombs or Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) but the lethal weapons also inflict casualties on civilians.
The IEDs are the biggest killer of civilians in the conflict as the home-made weapons left 340 civilians dead and 599 others injured from 1 January to 30 September this year, an increase of almost 30 percent over the same period of last year, the UN mission in the country said in a statement earlier in October.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed