Rogue Afghan soldier kills 3 British troops
Kabul: A rogue Afghan soldier fired a
rocket-propelled grenade into a group of international forces
early on Tuesday, killing three British troops, before fleeing, a
military spokesman said. Four others were wounded.
It was the second time in eight months that an Afghan
killed British troops working with local security forces. In
November, an Afghan policeman killed five British soldiers at
a checkpoint, also in southern Helmand province, where today`s
President Hamid Karzai quickly sent a letter of apology
to the British government. Gen. David Petraeus, the commander
NATO forces in Afghanistan, called for unity among
international troops and the Afghan soldiers in the fight
against the Taliban.
Such intentional attacks are rare, but emphasise the
difficulties in rapidly expanding the Afghan forces to take
over responsibility for security from international troops.
Critics have said a rushed schedule, aimed at allowing US
forces to begin drawing down by next year, makes it difficult
to screen out insurgent sympathisers and also to properly
train up Afghan forces in military discipline.
The renegade Afghan soldier used a shoulder-mounted
launcher to fire a grenade at British soldiers at around 2 am,
Afghan Defence Ministry spokesman Gen. Mohammad Zaher Azimi
The soldier escaped and is being sought, he said, adding
that the motive of the attack was not yet clear. A joint
coalition-Afghan team is investigating.
British Prime Minister David Cameron`s office said he had
been made aware of the incident, but declined to comment
specifically until next of kin are informed.
Petraeus also expressed condolences and made his call for
unity among security forces.
"We have sacrificed greatly together, and we must ensure
that the trust between our forces remains solid in order to
defeat our common enemies," he said in a statement.
Afghan Army Chief of Staff Gen. Sher Mohammad Karimi also
"The loss of any of our coalition partners affects us
deeply," Karimi said. "Our ongoing, partnered investigation
will seek to determine how this event could have occurred and
we will prosecute those responsible."
With about 10,000 troops in Afghanistan, Britain is the
largest contributor to the NATO force after the United States.
Most of its troops are deployed in volatile Helmand, a Taliban
In October 2008, a policeman threw a grenade and opened
fire on a US foot patrol, killing one soldier. The previous
month, a policeman opened fire at a police station, killing a
soldier and wounding three before he was fatally shot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt