Ruling Awami League`s general secretary resigns
Dhaka: Premier Sheikh Hasina led Awami League`s general secretary on Tuesday quit as he was not "allowed to discharge his duties", days after a minister resigned from the cabinet, indicating a brewing discontent in the party that had swept the general elections last year.
"I am resigning as I have not been allowed to
discharge my duty for the upcoming council. As I was not given
the scope I had no other option but to resign from the post,"
Awami League general secretary Abdul Jalil told a press
conference at his residence.
Jalil had sent a message to Hasina seeking permission
to get involved in the preparations for the national council
but became frustrated as he received no response from the
party chief while party joint general secretary and Local
Government Minister Syed Ashraful Islam is coordinating
preparations for the national council.
Jalil, a senior Awami League leader who was sidelined
in the party for the past one year, said according to the
party constitution the general secretary was supposed to
convene the council session and submit his report in the
State Minister for Home Affairs Tanjim Ahmed Sohel
Taj said on July 19 that he has resigned from the Sheikh
Hasina led Awamin League cabinet two months ago as he was led
by sense of ethics which cannot be "compromised" for a
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket