Russia assures more aid to Pak as Medvedev meets Zardari
Moscow: Russia on Wednesday promised all
possible support to Pakistan in dealing with catastrophic
floods, even as the second Russian Il-76 cargo plane with
emergency relief is scheduled to land in Islamabad tomorrow.
Russian President Dmitry Medvedev hosted his Pakistani
counterpart Asif Ali Zardari in the Black Sea resort of Sochi
and discussed the flood situation in the country, terrorism
and the situation in the region, especially Afghanistan.
Zardari is in Russia to attend the quadrilateral
summit hosted by Medvedev with his counterparts from
Afghanistan, Pakistan and Tajikistan.
The summit will discuss cooperation in Af-Pak peace
process, combating terrorism, drug trafficking and promoting
Welcoming Zardari, the Russian President said his
country was ready to provide more assistance to Pakistan to
deal with the worst-ever floods.
"This is a severe disaster which caused many deaths
and unfortunately brought great damage. We mourn with you and
are ready to provide assistance to the Pakistani people. You
can count on us," Medvedev said.
"We would like to continue cooperating in fighting
terrorism, drug trafficking and international crimes. That`s
why everything we discussed earlier could be continued, even
though there is a good political dialogue, it is very
important to develop economic ties," Medvedev said in his
televised remarks at bilateral meeting with Zardari.
Medvedev, who has met Zardari four times in nearly two
years, regretted that there has been no progress in bilateral
"I hope that we will be able to continue discussing
this issue now in terms of bilateral economic cooperation and
four-party cooperation in a number of projects," Medvedev was
quoted as saying by RIA Novosti.
During his bilateral parleys with Medvedev, Zardari
was accompanied by his Defence Minister Chaudhry Ahmad Mukhtar
and Foreign Secretary Salman Bashir.
The second Russian aircraft with humanitarian aid for
the flood-affected population of Pakistan will land in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP