Russia rules out role in resolving Kashmir between
Islamabad: Russia on Thursday ruled out playing a role in resolving the Kashmir problem, saying India and Pakistan are capable of settling their outstanding issues themselves.
Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said India and Pakistan are capable of settling issues though bilateral discussions without outside help.
India and Pakistan were in touch and talking to each other, Lavrov noted while speaking through an interpreter during a joint news conference with Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar.
"We discussed this issue. We welcome steps Pakistan and India have taken on confidence-building measures. Both countries are capable of settling their issues on their own without any foreign assistance," Lavrov said.
The two countries have "established diplomatic traditions" and the ongoing contacts between India and Pakistan are a "good" development, he said.
The two Foreign Ministers, who addressed the media after delegation-level talks, said there was convergence of views on regional and international issues, including the situation in Afghanistan, Syria and Libya and the Iranian nuclear programme.
Lavrov backed Khar`s contention that US drone strikes were a violation of Pakistan`s sovereignty.
Responding to a question related to the US drone campaign targeting Taliban and al-Qaeda elements in Pakistan`s tribal areas, Khar said her government`s position in private and public dealings with the US on this issue were the same.
"If the objective of drone strikes is to end terrorism, then Pakistan ascribes to that objective... However, the ways and means that we use to achieve those objectives must be legal, lawful and not counter-productive," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender