Russian Foreign Minister to visit Sri Lanka
Moscow: Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov will pay a brief visit to Colombo on Monday for talks with Sri Lankan leaders and signing of several agreements to boost bilateral relations, according to officials.
Lavrov is scheduled to hold parleys with President Mahinda Rajapaksa and his Sri Lankan counterpart on bilateral and international issues, and sign an agreement on countering drug trafficking and a MoU between the countries` disaster relief ministries, Foreign Ministry spokesman Andrei Nesterenko said.
The two nations are also discussing new agreements in civil aviation, mutual legal assistance in criminal matters, tourism, trade, and economic partnership, Nesterenko said at a weekly foreign office briefing.
Russia`s joint stance with Sri Lanka at the UN earlier this year amid international criticism over the country`s military operations against Tamil Tigers serve as a "clear example" of bilateral interaction, he said.
Moscow has announced a relief package for Tamil refugees and displaced persons, and offered military assistance for the modernisation of the Sri Lankan Army, earlier media reports said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her