`S Asian leadership should show courage to resolve disputes`
Islamabad: The leadership of South Asia should show statesmanship and courage to resolve differences as unresolved political disputes are holding back the region`s emergence as an economic grouping, Pakistan Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf said Wednesday.
"Unresolved political disputes are undermining the potential of the region to emerge as a robust economic grouping," Ashraf said without referring to any particular dispute between countries in South Asia.
"Heavy responsibility rests on the shoulders of leaderships of the region to show statesmanship, vision and courage to resolve the differences," he said in his address at a media summit organised in Islamabad by the All Pakistan Newspaper Society (APNS).
Ashraf said if people and their welfare are at the heart of public policy, it is "important that the process of conflict resolution is initiated in line with the people`s aspirations and canons of international justice".
The media, as opinion makers, is better positioned to remove misunderstandings and help build an atmosphere of peace and friendship among countries of the SAARC region, he remarked.
"What our region direly needs is peace and economic development," he said.
Ashraf was speaking to a gathering that included Information Minister Qamar Zaman Kaira, Essel Group and Zee chairman Subash Chandra, APNS president Sarmad Ali and delegates from SAARC countries.
He said the digital revolution had triggered a debate on whether the print media will be able to remain competitive and relevant.
The summit`s theme of "The role of newspapers in an evolving media ecosystem" provides an opportunity for participants to share their ideas and experiences, he said.
Globalisation has brought different regions closer and people have greater stakes in their collective well-being, Ashraf said.
"Being integrated regionally as well as globally is not a matter of choice but of necessity," he added.
Pakistan attaches "great importance" to SAARC and believes the grouping has great potential to become a model for cooperation.
"We have played our role in this regard and are ready to go the extra mile," Ashraf said.
The media is also a "bulwark of fundamental rights and human liberties and acts as a watchdog against any excesses by the government", Ashraf said.
It should, however, respect social values and adhere to the regulatory mechanism in place lest it "encourages chaos in the society", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'