SAARC ministers call for collective action to fight terrorism
Bandos Island (Maldives): Condemning terrorism in all its forms and manifestations, Interior and Home Ministers of the eight-member SAARC group today called for collective action in fighting the menace in its entirety.
The fifth meeting of the SAARC Home/Interior Ministers, which concluded here today discussed ways to combat terrorism, piracy and trafficking in narcotics.
"We had very fruitful discussions on a number of issues important to the peace and security of our Asian region," a statement issued after the meeting said.
Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde represented India at the meeting.
"While condemning terrorism, in all its forms and manifestations, the grouping called for collective action in fighting this menace in its entirety," it said.
The member states were asked to ensure each other`s commitment towards working together effectively, in a result-oriented manner in fighting these social evils.
The grouping called for the need to induce collective wisdom of the nations of SAARC in deciding practical measures to fight terrorism and transnational organised crime.
The delegations from the member states briefed the meeting on the actions being taken by them to implement the SAARC Regional Convention on Suppression of Terrorism and its Additional Protocol, including the enactment of enabling legislations at the national level to give effect to the provisions of these instruments.
The Ministers also deliberated on the defamation of religion and adopted a statement in this regard.
In his inaugural address, Maldives` Vice President Mohamed Waheed Deen said that SAARC was embarking on highlighting one of the most important issues that face all the nations of the world -- its security.
"Security today, internal and external, is most important, especially in the high seas. Security of each nation is extremely important for their independence and to remain as a sovereign state.
Therefore this meeting of Ministers of Interior and Home is very crucial at this moment, when the whole world is in turmoil," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks