SAARCLAW & SAARC CJs conference focus on child protection
Thimpu: Top judges from eight SAARC member nations on Sunday began discussion on constitutional guarantees available to children in the South Asian region and the challenges faced in enforcing child protection laws.
The 12th SAARCLAW Annual Conference and the 9th SAARC Chief Justices Conference began on Sunday here in Bhutan.
Chief Justice of India Altamas Kabir is representing India in the Chief Justices` conference, while Justice B A Khan, former Chief Justice of Jammu and Kashmir High Court, is heading the delegation to the SAARCLAW conference.
The main focus of the conference was on child protection, and the confirmed topics of the conference included mapping of existing legal provisions related to child protection and identifying of gaps and challenges, child labour, sexual abuse and trafficking of children etc.
"The three-day conference will discuss and deliberate upon, amongst other things, the constitutional guarantees available to children in South Asian region and challenges faced in enforcing these guarantees through judicial action," Justice B A Khan, former Chief Justice of Jammu and Kashmir High Court, told PTI.
"SAARCLAW is an association of judges, lawyers and legal academicians of South East Asian countries. It was established in 1991 to bring together legal communities within the region for close cooperation, promotion and exchange of ideas and dissemination of legal information," Justice Khan said.
He further said that over the years this association has functioned as the bonding factor between the SAARC nations, even during strained circumstances.
"Over the years this association has been a bonding factor even in strained circumstances and has been able to hold conference and seminars leading to promotion of goodwill and dissemination of legal information amongst legal community across the nations," Khan said.
The SAARC grouping consists of Sri Lanka, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!