Saeed asks Pak govt not to buy electricity from India
Lahore: Pakistan should not buy electricity from India, Jamaat-ud-Dawah chief Hafiz Saeed has told the government, days after Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif directed his power minister to visit India to address the severe energy crisis facing the country.
"India is producing electricity on Pakistani rivers and offering the same to us to buy. Don`t our rulers understand this basic point?" Saeed, the mastermind of the 2008 Mumbai attacks, asked while addressing an `Ummat Conference` at Sheikhupura, some 40 kilometres from here, yesterday.
Saeed, who is carrying a USD 10 million bounty on his head declared by the US, has been freely moving and conducting his activities mostly in Punjab, a province of 90 million.
"There is no need to beg India..," Saeed, the former head of banned Lashkar-e-Taiba, added.
His warning to the Sharif government came in the wake of its proposed plan to buy electricity from India and China to cope with the current energy crisis.
Finance Minister Ishaq Dar had said India is ready to sell up to 2000 MW electricity to Pakistan and "we are seriously pondering to purchase electricity from India."
Sharif had told members of the Pak-India Joint Business Council last week that he had directed Khawaja Muhammad Asif, Minister for Water and Power, to visit India and explore potential areas of cooperation between the two countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing