Sanaullah`s death tragic, most unfortunate: Pak
Islamabad: Caretaker Prime Minister Mir Hazar Khan Khoso on Friday described as unfortunate the death of Pakistani prisoner Sanaullah Ranjay following an assault in India and called for mechanisms between the two countries to address the issue of prisoners.
"Both Pakistan and India should ensure timely and effective implementation of established mechanisms between our two countries to address the issue of prisoners, which is a humanitarian one and should be addressed in that manner," Khoso said in a statement.
"I would like to reiterate to the Prime Minister of India that the serious matter of ensuring safety and security of Pakistani prisoners be addressed in a humane spirit and steps taken so that such brutal atrocities do not recur," he said.
Ranjay, who was serving a life sentence after being convicted of involvement in terrorism, was assaulted by another prisoner at Kot Bhalwal Jail in Jammu on May 3. He died in hospital of multi-organ failure.
Ranjay was assaulted a day after Indian prisoner Sarabjit Singh died in a Lahore hospital following an attack by prisoners in Kot Lakhpat Jail.
Khoso described Ranjay`s death as "tragic and most unfortunate".
As a gesture of support, he said financial aid of Rs 10 lakhs would be provided to Ranjay`s family.
The government of Punjab province would provide a job to Ranjay`s elder son and pay for the education of his younger son.
The provincial government will also pay Rs 500,000 and provide a house to his family.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror