Sarabjit probe: Pak tribunal records statements of witnesses
Lahore: A Pakistani inquiry tribunal probing the murder of Indian national Sarabjit Singh has recorded the statements of 10 witnesses.
The one-man inquiry tribunal of Justice Syed Mazahar Ali Akbar Naqvi of the Lahore High Court is holding proceedings every day and has recorded the statements of 10 witnesses, said an official statement issued today.
The Punjab government formed the tribunal to ascertain the facts about the death of Sarabjit, a death row prisoner who died after a brutal assault in Kot Lakhpat Jail on April 26.
Earlier this month, the tribunal visited Sarabjit`s cell in the jail and interviewed prisoners.
Justice Naqvi collected Sarabjit`s complete record from prison officials.
The tribunal has issued notices to Sarabjit`s family through the Foreign Ministry to record their statements and produce any evidence they had regarding the incident.
It will also interview the two prisoners arrested for attacking Sarabjit, jail officials and witnesses before finalising its report.
Five to six prisoners had brutally assaulted Sarabjit in a coordinated attack.
After being comatose for nearly a week, Singh died at Jinnah Hospital in Lahore on May 02.
Police registered a murder case against two death row prisoners Amer Aftab and Mudassar for allegedly assaulting Sarabjit.
Both men told police that they wanted to kill Sarabjit as he was involved in killing Pakistanis in bomb blasts.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended