Sarabjit`s conviction is a miscarriage of justice: Lawyer
Lahore: The conviction and imprisonment of Sarabjit Singh, an Indian on death row in a Pakistani jail for alleged involvement in a string of bomb attacks, was "an extraordinary miscarriage of justice", his lawyer has said in a new book.
Sarabjit was sentenced to death in 1990 after being convicted of alleged involvement in bombing in Lahore and Faisalabad that killed 14 people.
Awais Sheikh`s book `Sarabjit Singh: A Case of Mistaken Identity` will be launched at the Lahore Press Club tomorrow, explaining why he believes Singh`s conviction and imprisonment is "an extraordinary miscarriage of justice".
In his 199-page book, Sheikh states that his client accidentally crossed the border into Pakistan and was then set up to take the fall for the bombings, The Express Tribune reported today.
The book details several flaws in the investigation, trial and appeals in Sarabjit`s case.
The book also includes letters written by Sarabjit to his family in India and to the Indian and Pakistani governments seeking his release.
Sheikh writes that Singh did not get due process, that fundamental legal issues were not addressed, and that the investigation agency introduced false witnesses.
"Sarabjit has certainly been a victim of unfair conviction that has caused him to be in prison for his entire adult life," he writes.
The FIR in the case, registered on the complaint of then Lahore Commissioner Shahid Rafi, names Manjit Singh, son of Mehanga Singh, as the bomber.
Sheikh points out that his client is Sarabjit Singh, son of Salakhan Singh. Sarabjit was produced in a magistrate`s court by a Military Intelligence officer on September 8, 1990.
The magistrate proceeded with the case of Manjit Singh and "did not listen to Sarabjit, who repeatedly said that he was not Manjit Singh. He did not bother to confirm and verify the name of the accused produced in his court," the book states.
Having failed to resolve the question of identity, Sheikh writes: "All subsequent proceedings in this case are illegal and against the facts of the case."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter