Saran`s meeting with Bhattarai raises eyebrows among Maoists
Kathmandu: Special Indian envoy Shyam
Saran`s recent meeting with Maoist leader Baburam Bhattarai
has stirred controversy within the party ranks, with a section
raising questions over a `one-on-one` between the two and
demanding that a clarification be sought from the Maoist No 2.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s special envoy Saran
visited Nepal last week and met top political players,
including Maoist chief Prachanda.
But, party members close to Prachanda seem unhappy
over Saran`s separate meeting with the Maoist Vice Chairman,
that came amidst a lingering political crisis in Nepal where
the Constituent Assembly has failed four times to elect a
Maoist politburo member Barsha Man Pun `Ananta` told
media persons that he saw the meeting as a `mistake` and
suggested that the party seek a clarification from Bhattarai
over the issue. Many see Bhattarai as soft towards India as
against Prachanda, who is known for his anti-India rhetoric.
"Why was it necessary for him to meet Saran one-to-one
when all the office-bearers had jointly met him (Saran)," said
It has also been revealed that the Maoist chairman
Prachanda also held a one-to-one meeting with Saran after the
latter met Bhattarai, hours before he left for India on
According to media reports, both Dahal and Bhattarai
knew about each other`s separate meetings with Saran.
However, party leaders close to Prachanda have
objected to Bhattarai`s private meeting with Saran.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown