Saudi Arabia beheads Sri Lankan maid for `killing baby`
London: Saudi Arabian authorities have beheaded a young Sri Lankan housemaid for killing a baby in her care, despite years of appeals for clemency from her home country and widespread international condemnation.
Rizana Nafeek had denied strangling the four-month-old baby in 2005 and the execution came despite global appeals to call it off because she was only 17 at the time.
According to Sky News, rights groups said the death sentence was a violation of international codes governing the rights of minors.
Appeals by the Sri Lankan government were also rejected and Nafeek was executed near the capital Riyadh, on Wednesday.
Sri Lanka`s President Mahinda Rajapaksa had made a series of personal appeals to try to stop the execution and grant a pardon to the maid.
Rajapaksa said he and his government `deplored` the beheading, the report said.
According to the report, in a statement the Saudi Interior Ministry said the maid had been found guilty of smothering the infant to death after an argument with the child`s mother, her employer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi