`Saudi King spoke to Singh, Karzai about Pak`
Islamabad: Saudi King Abdullah bin Abdul
Aziz spoke to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Afghan
President Hamid Karzai about Pakistan and the two leaders
were "positively inclined to live in peace" with the
neighbouring country, according to Premier Yousuf Raza Gilani.
Gilani made the remarks while briefing his Cabinet about
his visit to Saudi Arabia earlier this week and his meetings
with the leadership there, including King Abdullah.
"He (King Abdullah) said that he had spoken to the Indian
Prime Minister and the Afghanistan President who were
positively inclined to live in peace with Pakistan," Gilani
told the meeting yesterday.
The Pakistan Prime Minister did not say when the Saudi
King had spoken to the Indian and Afghan leaders or give other
He quoted the Saudi monarch as saying that "wars do not
bring anything" but "economic and moral destruction."
The Premier said he had informed King Abdullah that
Pakistan`s relations with India "are moving in the right
He also assured the King that "Pakistan wants a free,
peaceful, prosperous and sovereign Afghanistan."
Gilani said he was accompanied by army chief Gen Ashfaq
Parvez Kayani and ISI head Lt Gen Ahmed Shuja Pasha during his
last visit to Kabul and the officials had held "fruitful
discussions" with their Afghan counterparts.
"We have informed all that Pakistan is not a part of the
problem but a part of the solution," he said.
King Abdullah was quoted by Gilani as saying that
"stability in Pakistan is very important to Saudi Arabia."
The Pakistan government resumed peace talks with India in
February after a gap of almost two years in the wake of the
2008 Mumbai terror attacks.
At the same time, the government and the security
establishment have been jockeying for a greater role in
negotiations with the Taliban as part of efforts to end the
conflict in Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu