Saudi military officer assaulted in Pakistan
Islamabad: A Saudi Arabian military officer was assaulted by security personnel after he refused to pass through a walk-through gate at the Benazir Bhutto International Airport in the Pakistani garrison city of Rawalpindi on Thursday.
Personnel of the Airport Security Force assaulted the Saudi officer after a heated exchange.
TV news channels reported that problems began when Saudi official Shakeri Saeed Al-Shehri refused to pass through a walk-through gate.
The ASF personnel sent him back and the Saudi national reportedly pushed an ASF official.
Several ASF personnel then assaulted the Saudi national.
Footage on television showed the Saudi man in a wheelchair before he was put into an ambulance and taken to a nearby hospital.
His short was torn and stained with blood, and he was bleeding from a cut near his eye.
Talking to the media, he said he had made no attempt to avoid being searched.
The Saudi official was set to fly Riyadh when the incident happened.
Saudi Ambassador Abdul Aziz Ibrahim al-Ghadeer visited the injured man in hospital.
ASF officials told the media that the man was not an official of the Saudi embassy and that he was in Pakistan to attend a military course.
However, officials of the Saudi airline said the man was a staffer of the Saudi embassy.
Defence Secretary Nargis Sethi summoned the chief of the ASF and directed him to submit a report on the incident by tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Donald Trump takes another step back from hard-line stance on illegal immigration
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital