Saudi plane’s emergency landing at Karachi airport
Karachi: A Saudi chartered plane with 72 people on board made an emergency landing here on Sunday after developing a nose wheel problem, forcing closure of the city airport for all domestic and international flights.
The aircraft was flying from Tabuk in Saudi Arabia to Quetta, the capital of Pakistan`s Balochistan province.
It was diverted to Karachi after the pilot alerted authorities about the nose wheel problem, Civil Aviation Authority spokesman Pervez George said.
After two attempts, the plane landed at Karachi airport shortly before 10 am local time.
The aircraft`s nose wheel failed to deploy and it remained on the airport`s main runway hours after the landing.
Footage on television showed the plane standing on the runway.
Officials told the media that the problem had been compounded as the aircraft came down on the main runway, following which the airport was closed to all domestic and international flights.
They did not say how long the airport would remain closed.
Several flights were cancelled and some were diverted to other airports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH