Saudis have Pak commitment of nuclear bomb: US expert
Washington: Given the rapid increase of Pakistan`s nuclear arsenal, a former CIA analyst suspects the country has a commitment to provide a nuclear bomb to Saudi Arabia.
"One of the great unknowns is whether they (Saudi Arabia) have already got a deal with the Pakistanis for a bomb. That`s one of the mysteries of the contemporary Middle East and South Asia," said Bruce Riedel, a former CIA analyst who is currently with the Brookings Institute, an eminent American think-tank.
"Why does Pakistan have the fastest growing nuclear arsenal in the world? Why are they producing more bombs than the Indians by double or triple? Is there some external partner who they have a commitment to?" he asked at a panel discussion on Obama administration`s foreign policy organised by the Brookings Institute.
"On this issue there`s a lot of smoke, there`s very little fire that anyone has seen, but if you ask my bottom line I think there probably have been discussions between the Saudi and the Pakistanis, and the Saudis have a Pakistani commitment to provide a bomb and you can take a Pakistani commitment to provide a bomb to the bank and cash it for probably nothing," Riedel said.
Riedel said Saudi Arabia is deeply disappointed with US President Barack Obama.
"In the beginning, they were very optimistic like everyone else about Obama in the beginning. Riyadh is actually the first Arab country that President Obama went to even before his speech in Cairo. But the Saudis have become very disillusioned.
They`ve demonstrated that disillusionment this year in a number of ways," he noted.
Saudi Arabia, he said, recently refused to take their seat in the UN Security Council.
"They argued that that was somehow a spite to the United States. I`m not sure most Americans feel that way. But that was the Saudi argument. They promised to give the government of Lebanon USD 3 billion worth of arms and to buy them from the French. That is also somehow supposed to be a spite to the United States that we won`t get the arms from the United States," he said.
Though the media is filled with Saudi anger and disappointment for the United States, he said, but at the end of the day the US-Saudi relationship is not broken.
"This is our oldest alliance in the Middle East that dates back to 1945. It continues to function in many ways despite the public irritation," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes