Saved Nawaz from being hanged by Musharraf: Zardari
Islamabad: Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari has claimed that he had saved Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) chief Nawaz Sharif from being hanged by former president Pervez Musharraf.
Zardari maintained that he became ‘friends’ with Nawaz after the latter was imprisoned by Musharraf following the 1999 coup.
He claimed that at the time, Musharraf had been pressuring Justice Rehmat Hussain Jafri to severely punish Nawaz, the Express Tribune reports.
Zardari said that he ‘had some acquaintance with Justice Jafri, and when he heard Musharraf was pressuring him into punishing Nawaz, he advised him to settle the case only on merit,’ the report said.
He added that he was successful in convincing Justice Jafri against announcing capital punishment for the PML-N chief, it added. (ANI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?