Saved Nawaz from being hanged by Musharraf: Zardari
Islamabad: Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari has claimed that he had saved Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) chief Nawaz Sharif from being hanged by former president Pervez Musharraf.
Zardari maintained that he became ‘friends’ with Nawaz after the latter was imprisoned by Musharraf following the 1999 coup.
He claimed that at the time, Musharraf had been pressuring Justice Rehmat Hussain Jafri to severely punish Nawaz, the Express Tribune reports.
Zardari said that he ‘had some acquaintance with Justice Jafri, and when he heard Musharraf was pressuring him into punishing Nawaz, he advised him to settle the case only on merit,’ the report said.
He added that he was successful in convincing Justice Jafri against announcing capital punishment for the PML-N chief, it added. (ANI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Osama bin Laden is alive, staying in Bahamas, claims Edward Snowden