Saved Nawaz from being hanged by Musharraf: Zardari
Islamabad: Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari has claimed that he had saved Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) chief Nawaz Sharif from being hanged by former president Pervez Musharraf.
Zardari maintained that he became ‘friends’ with Nawaz after the latter was imprisoned by Musharraf following the 1999 coup.
He claimed that at the time, Musharraf had been pressuring Justice Rehmat Hussain Jafri to severely punish Nawaz, the Express Tribune reports.
Zardari said that he ‘had some acquaintance with Justice Jafri, and when he heard Musharraf was pressuring him into punishing Nawaz, he advised him to settle the case only on merit,’ the report said.
He added that he was successful in convincing Justice Jafri against announcing capital punishment for the PML-N chief, it added. (ANI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border