Saved Nawaz from being hanged by Musharraf: Zardari
Islamabad: Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari has claimed that he had saved Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) chief Nawaz Sharif from being hanged by former president Pervez Musharraf.
Zardari maintained that he became ‘friends’ with Nawaz after the latter was imprisoned by Musharraf following the 1999 coup.
He claimed that at the time, Musharraf had been pressuring Justice Rehmat Hussain Jafri to severely punish Nawaz, the Express Tribune reports.
Zardari said that he ‘had some acquaintance with Justice Jafri, and when he heard Musharraf was pressuring him into punishing Nawaz, he advised him to settle the case only on merit,’ the report said.
He added that he was successful in convincing Justice Jafri against announcing capital punishment for the PML-N chief, it added. (ANI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah