Saved Nawaz from being hanged by Musharraf: Zardari
Islamabad: Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari has claimed that he had saved Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) chief Nawaz Sharif from being hanged by former president Pervez Musharraf.
Zardari maintained that he became ‘friends’ with Nawaz after the latter was imprisoned by Musharraf following the 1999 coup.
He claimed that at the time, Musharraf had been pressuring Justice Rehmat Hussain Jafri to severely punish Nawaz, the Express Tribune reports.
Zardari said that he ‘had some acquaintance with Justice Jafri, and when he heard Musharraf was pressuring him into punishing Nawaz, he advised him to settle the case only on merit,’ the report said.
He added that he was successful in convincing Justice Jafri against announcing capital punishment for the PML-N chief, it added. (ANI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Communal clash in Gujarat kills one
- IAF's AN-32 transport aircraft with 29 on board goes missing; massive search operation launched
- England vs Pakistan, 2nd Test: Cook, Root tons help hosts post 314/4 on Day 1
- Low-cost cancer treatment should be priority: NITI Aayog CEO
- SC orders medical board in abnormal foetus case