School named after Malala upgraded
Islamabad: A government girls` school in Pakistan`s port city of Karachi, named after Malala Yousufzai, the teen-aged rights campaigner who was shot and injured by the Taliban, has been upgraded to a higher secondary school.
The Malala Yousufzai Government Girls` Secondary School on Mission Road in Karachi was upgraded Saturday, Dawn News reported.
The 14-year-old Malala and her two friends Kainat and Shazia were fired at in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province while they were returning home from school Tuesday. The Taliban claimed responsibility for the shooting that sparked outrage across the world.
The school was renamed after Malala in July when she attended its inauguration.
The announcement about its upgradation was made Saturday by Sindh Minister for Education and Literacy Pir Mazhar-ul-Haq at a gathering where students prayed for Malala`s early recovery.
The students of the school also collected Rs.50,000 through their own contributions to be sent to Malala`s family for her treatment.
Haq said Malala "lit the candle of knowledge and hope" while living among elements who opposed education. Her example would be remembered forever in the country, the Daily Times quoted the minister as saying.
He said the enemies of Malala thought that by targeting the girl, they would defeat her ideology, while the situation, in which each and every girl of Pakistan was vowing to join the struggle, was a "slap" on her enemies` faces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened