Security beefed up in Lahore for Muharram processions
Lahore: In the wake of bombings and suicide attacks targeting Shia processions in different parts of Pakistan, over 25,000 policemen have been put on high alert in the capital city of the most populous province of Punjab for `Ashura`, the tenth day of the Islamic month of Muharram.
For the first time, a four-tier security plan is being introduced for the main `Zuljinnah` processions to be taken out on the ninth and tenth day of Muharram on Saturday and tomorrow respectively.
Lahore Police chief Aslam Tareen convened a meeting of various departments, including the Operations and Investigation wings, Counter-Terrorism Department and Special Branch, yesterday to review security arrangements.
Tareen said police will use all resources to maintain law and order and provide security to Shia mourners.
He directed police officials to perform their duty with commitment and foil the designs of terrorists.
Officers would be present at all points along the routes of Shia processions with policemen, and any officer found absent would face action, he said.
No irrelevant person should be allowed near the routes of Zuljinnah processions, while a vigilant eye should be kept on balconies of houses located along the routes, he said.
Tareen directed officials to remove all temporary encroachments on the routes of the main Zuljinnah procession and to conduct a thorough search of streets adjacent to the route.
A certificate should be obtained from residents of all buildings along the routes that no stranger or any guest who was not their blood relative was staying with them, he said.
He said CCTV cameras were being installed on the route of the main Zuljinnah procession with the cooperation of the city district government, while complete video coverage of the procession had also been arranged.
Seven persons were killed and 18 injured when a Shia procession was targeted with a roadside bomb at Dera Ismail Khan in Pakistan`s restive northwest today.
On Thursday, 23 people were killed and more than 60 injured when a suicide attacker targeted a procession in the garrison city of Rawalpindi.
Another suicide bomber blew himself up close to a Shia prayer hall at Lakki Marwat in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa last night, injuring two persons.
Lahore too has witnessed deadly attacks during Muharram in the past few years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM