Security beefed up in Pakistan for Yaum-i-Ali
Lahore: Police have deployed nearly 6,000 personnel, including snipers and commandos, in the Pakistan`s old city of Lahore to ensure safety of Shia processions to be taken out on Sunday as Yaum-i-Ali is being observed across the country.
The law enforcement agencies have beefed up security at all entry and exit points of Lahore and called rangers to foil any terrorism attempt to mark Yaum-i-Ali (martyrdom of Hazrat Ali).
The move has come in wake of the recent holing up of terrorists in Raiwind near the residence of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif in Lahore.
"There are intelligence reports that terrorists may target the Shia processions in Lahore and elsewhere. We have taken extra-ordinary security measures to secure the processions," Lahore acting police chief Zulfiqar Hameed said today.
"Fourteen places of the route have been declared highly sensitive and snipers deployed on 27 buildings," he said.
The police have also established a central control room in DIG Operations` office to monitor the situation.
"The situation will be monitored through 170 CCTV cameras installed at different points of the route to keep an eye on the suspects while walkthrough gates had also been installed," he said, adding that traffic police have closed all roads connecting to the procession route.
Punjab police, on the basis of intelligence reports, have declared seven districts - Lahore, Faisalabad, Jhangh, Sargodha, Bhakkar, Layyah and Rahim Yar Khan – as sensitive in connection with Yaum-i-Ali.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read