Security fears prevented Rajapaksa from attending CWG
Colombo: Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa skipped the ongoing Commonwealth Games in Glasgow because of possible security threats from the Tamil diaspora groups based in the UK, a top minister said on Thursday.
"Security concerns are of paramount importance", Keheliya Rambukwella, the Minister of Information and the government spokesman said.
Rajapaksa is the current Chair of the 54-nation Commonwealth by virtue of his hosting of the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) held here in November last year.
Pro-Liberation Tigers of Tamil Ealam (LTTE) Tamil diaspora groups held noisy demonstrations during both the previous visits to Britain by Rajapaksa.
In 2010 his address to the Oxford University union was cancelled while Tamil groups also demonstrated when he visited to attend the Queen`s diamond jubilee celebrations lunch in 2013.
Sri Lanka accuses the Tamil diaspora groups of triggering international backlash against Colombo over its human rights record during the last phase of the war against the LTTE in 2009.
The diaspora is also accused of funding the remnants of the LTTE to revive the group, which ran over three decades long violent campaign to carve out a separate Tamil homeland.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it