Security forces claim to kill 60 militants in Pak
Peshawar: The Pakistani Taliban today blew
up the home of a pro-government tribal elder, injuring 10
members of his family, even as security forces claimed they
had killed about 60 militants during operations in the lawless
Militants detonated explosives planted around the home
of Malik Zaliman Shah in Aliabad area of Hangu district early
Ten members of his family were injured when they were
buried in the rubble of the house.
A nearby mosque was also flattened by the blast. Local
residents dug the people out of the debris and took them to
hospitals in Kohat and Peshawar.
After surviving a grenade attack one year ago, Malik
Zaliman Shah had shifted from Aurakzai Agency to Hangu.
Hafiz Ziaullah, spokesman for the Tehrik-e-Taliban in
Aurakzai tribal region, claimed responsibility for the attack.
He told reporters in Hangu by phone from an
undisclosed location that tribal elders supporting the
government`s operations against militants would meet the same
Militant commanders Muhammad Tufail alias Abdullah and
Muhammad Iqbal were killed in an exchange of fire with
security forces in an area near Peshawar where troops are
conducting Operation Spring Cleaning to flush out rebels.
Muhammad Tufail headed a local chapter of the
Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan and was involved in several attacks
on Nowshera cantonment.
Muhammad Iqbal was also a Taliban commander and a key
supplier of suicide jackets and explosives to militants
Islamabad and other cities, said a spokesman for the Frontier
Meanwhile, the Frontier Corps Inspector General, Maj
Gen Tariq Khan, said troops had killed 54 militants, including
seven commanders, in an operation against rebels in Bajaur
Khan told a news briefing in Khar, headquarters of
Bajaur Agency, that influential circles in the Kunar area of
Afghanistan were responsible for supporting militants in
Influential persons, including the Khan of Kunar, are
supporting militants from across the border, he added.
Security forces have tightened security along the
border with Afghanistan and were using satellites to monitor
movements of militants.
Troops have secured control of all parts of Bajaur
Agency and the law and order situation in the region has
improved, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Gurdaspur terror attack: Blow-by-blow account