Security threat cancels Hagel, Karzai press event
Kabul: US officials say a news conference with Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel and Afghan President Hamid Karzai is cancelled because of a security threat, but the two men plan to meet privately.
The cancellation comes a day after a suicide bomber on a bicycle struck outside the Afghan Defence Ministry killing nine Afghan civilians and wounding 14 others.
US officials would not provide details on the security concerns. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren`t authorised to discuss the matter publicly.
Pentagon press secretary George Little said the cancellation was not due to remarks Karzai made earlier suggesting that the Taliban and the US are working in concert to convince Afghans that violence will worsen if most foreign troops leave as planned by the end of next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing