Security threat cancels Hagel, Karzai press event
Kabul: US officials say a news conference with Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel and Afghan President Hamid Karzai is cancelled because of a security threat, but the two men plan to meet privately.
The cancellation comes a day after a suicide bomber on a bicycle struck outside the Afghan Defence Ministry killing nine Afghan civilians and wounding 14 others.
US officials would not provide details on the security concerns. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren`t authorised to discuss the matter publicly.
Pentagon press secretary George Little said the cancellation was not due to remarks Karzai made earlier suggesting that the Taliban and the US are working in concert to convince Afghans that violence will worsen if most foreign troops leave as planned by the end of next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air