Security tightened at Pak girls` school after Taliban threat
Islamabad: Security was tightened around a government girls` school in Rawalpindi after a letter allegedly sent by the Pakistani Taliban warned that it would be blown up if it is not shut down, a media report said today.
The one-page handwritten letter was found on the premises of the building by school staff recently.
The letter, addressing the school administration, contained some sayings about the respect and status of women in Islam, Dawn daily quoted police sources as saying.
"It is a message from Ameer Sahib Abdul Wali of TTP Mohmand Agency that the girls` school should be closed. Thank God, we have been successful in every bomb attack and will be successful in future too. And we can carry out bomb attacks anytime," the note said.
Police presence has been increased around the building during school hours.
All educational institutes were closed till October 20 to mark Eid-ul-Azha. The letter was found before the week-long holiday began.
A police officer said that the station commander and the chief executive of the cantonment board of the garrison city visited the school to inspect the security measures.
When asked about the authenticity of the letter, the police officer said it was yet to be determined.
However, under current circumstances, the letter could not be taken lightly, the officer added.
"In the past, there had been no such threat to close any educational institution.
However, some boys` schools had received telephonic threats," A senior police officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31