Security tightened at Pak girls` school after Taliban threat
Islamabad: Security was tightened around a government girls` school in Rawalpindi after a letter allegedly sent by the Pakistani Taliban warned that it would be blown up if it is not shut down, a media report said today.
The one-page handwritten letter was found on the premises of the building by school staff recently.
The letter, addressing the school administration, contained some sayings about the respect and status of women in Islam, Dawn daily quoted police sources as saying.
"It is a message from Ameer Sahib Abdul Wali of TTP Mohmand Agency that the girls` school should be closed. Thank God, we have been successful in every bomb attack and will be successful in future too. And we can carry out bomb attacks anytime," the note said.
Police presence has been increased around the building during school hours.
All educational institutes were closed till October 20 to mark Eid-ul-Azha. The letter was found before the week-long holiday began.
A police officer said that the station commander and the chief executive of the cantonment board of the garrison city visited the school to inspect the security measures.
When asked about the authenticity of the letter, the police officer said it was yet to be determined.
However, under current circumstances, the letter could not be taken lightly, the officer added.
"In the past, there had been no such threat to close any educational institution.
However, some boys` schools had received telephonic threats," A senior police officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister